The aim of the Art Department is to foster a general awareness of the role of art in life; in recording events; change and cultural diversity within society.
We aim to develop the student’s awareness of their environment through investigation, questioning and visual interpretation. Self-expression and creative thinking are central to this process.
- To provide a rich, pro-active learning environment for all students.
- To develop two dimensional and three dimensional skills through drawing, design and craft.
- To develop an aesthetic awareness of their world.
- To provide a positive experience of practical art, supported by gallery visits and contemporary artistic practice.
- To develop students’ visual and technical skills within curricular guidelines.
- To formally introduce History of Art as an intrinsic component of study, and to increase visual art vocabulary.
- To encourage and develop students’ individual desire to progress to third level education.